I’m Matthew Borgatti. I am a maker, designer, and engineer. My work has appeared in Wired, Vice, BoingBoing, PopSci, and TechCrunch. You may have seen monsters I’ve built, printed objects I’ve released, or watched videos I’ve made. Chances are there’s one of my passports hanging around at your hackerspace.
I am the lead mechanical designer and co-founder at Super-Releaser, a robotics company that specializes in human/machine integration, digital fabrication, and soft mechanisms. We have developed drone technologies for Google X, and space suit glove components as a NASA subcontractor. We have developed compliant mechanical designs for SOLS, Midnight Commercial, Google ATAP, 3Scan, and Phoenix Medical. Our focus is making soft robots practical by exploring them through a design-for-manufacture lens.
I got my BFA in industrial design from RISD in 2007. Between then and now I’ve built a fleet of plotter robots for Bond, developed projects in house for Instructables, built kite powered racers for Makani, designed the CNC curriculum at TechShop, and animated a TV series for NOVA. I’m also a member of NYC Resistor, New York’s longest running hackerspace.
Email me: sm.rah@m
- Linkedin for my resumé
- Thingiverse for open source designs
- Flickr for photos
- Instructables for DIY projects
- Twitter for status updates
- Youtube for video experiments
- Vice Motherboard: Soft Robots Are Even Creepier Than Hard Ones
- Wired: Glaucus, an open-source soft robot sea-slug, sort of
- BoingBoing: Air-powered 3D-printed robot tentacle
- TechCrunch: This Open-Source, Robotic Tentacle Will Haunt Your Dreams
- BoingBoing: Brightly colored Guy Fawkes mask-scarves
- MakeZine: 3D Printed Soft Robot Tentacle
- JWZ: A Friendly and Helpful Tentacle
- PopSci: A 3-D Printed Silicone Robot Tentacle
- Ponoko: An air-powered robotic tentacle using Processing and Arduino
- MakeZine: Make Talk 015 – Matthew Borgatti
- BoingBoing: Laser-cut bento box
- Phoenix New Times: Laser Bento Boxes Are Totally Awesome
- Makezine: Anywhere Organ – An Interview With Matthew Borgatti
- Boingboing: Guy Fawkes OWS Bandanas
- Coilhouse: Coilhouse Presents – Matthew Borgatti’s OWS Bandanna Remix Pack!
- Laughingsquid: Guy Fawkes Bandana for Occupy Protestors
- JWZ: Wherein we make our saving throw against Gypsy Curse
- JWZ: Anonymous Bandana
- Extreme Futurist Fest: Interview
- Extreme Futurist Fest: Art is Wrong
- Coilhouse: The Anywhere Organ – Open-Source Pipe Organ of the Future
- BoingBoing: Raptor Cufflinks
- The Awesome Foundation: The Anywhere Organ
- Steampunk Workshop: Anywhere Organ!
- Motherboard TV: Fairytale Fashion
- GETV: What is Steampunk?
- Super Punch: MST3Shades
- Craftzine: DIY Scratch-Off Cards
- Craftzine: Folded Jellyfish Lamp
- The Daily What: T-Rex Skull Cufflinks
- Makezine: Major Hackers Infiltrate Rhode Island
- Makezine: Digitally Fabricated Steampunk Goggles